Monday, February 8, 2010

Research Study: Request for Participation

By: Abbie Connolly

Finding a cure for autism is essential, but it is a long process. I am running a study which may help children with Autistic Spectrum Disorders and their families now. My name is Abbie Connolly and I am a doctoral candidate at the City University of New York. The subject of my research is the possible connection between language and behavioral levels of children with ASD and maternal stress and family functioning. I am hoping that my research may help programs develop more effective strategies for parents and families with children on the Spectrum in coping with the symptoms of autism

The participants in my study would be mothers of children with ASD. The children must be between the ages of 6-12 years old. They must be diagnosed with ASD (autism, Asperger's Disorder or PDD-NOS) by a medical doctor, neurologist, psychiatrist or licensed psychologist. The data will consist of a series of well-known questionnaires and background information for the mother to complete and one questionnaire for the child's teacher.

I assure you there are several steps to ensure the participants' privacy. I was approved by CUNY's Independent Review Board (#09-09-1836). If you would like to participate, please email your name and address to: connollycuny@aol.com and I will send you a letter of introduction and a consent form with a self addressed stamped envelope via post. When I receive signed consent, I will send you a packet of the questionnaires along with the teacher's questionnaire along with self addressed stamped envelopes. You may stop participation at any time. Please feel free to contact me at my email address if you have any questions.

Abbie Connolly

The NAA New York Metro chapter does not endorse any treatment, therapy, diet, protocol, nor any provider, individual or group. Any information provided at NAA-NYM presentations, meetings, on our website, or on our blog is provided for informational purposes only. Parents must of course make their own decisions concerning any treatment, therapy or provider. NAA-NYM recommends that families consult with an experienced doctor or other professional before commencing treatments or therapies for their children.

No comments: